Wednesday, April 6, 2011

visual literacy

I know this is late, but I've been sick, which got me behind, so now I'm trying to catch up. The idea of visual literacy from the third chapter really appeals to me, but since I'm presenting tomorrow, I'll talk more about it then. (Don't want to step on my own toes, if I can help it.)

In one of the activities, she suggested that students go on a traveling experience and document it. After I read the the activity, I realized that I have been sort of doing that on my YouTube channel without realizing it. I did that with photographs and journals and random artifacts when I was in Ireland, too. It's something that I did naturally, though perhaps not as well as I would have liked, and I am intrigued by making it into a project for the classroom.

Something else I thought about. When I was in high school, my teacher made us keep a journal of sorts. She called it an idea notebook. We put quotes or pictures or lyrics into whatever form we had handy. I liked to make mine out of different materials or gather the things around me. I wanted the book to look like me. It was interesting to design a book that could convey a personality.

I ended up filling two notebooks. The first one was tall and has several quote and pictures per day, but by the second half of the year I was using a smaller notebook and more minimalistic layout. Looking back on it, it's interesting to see the progression.

Meshing these past two thoughts together, I wondered whether it would be interesting to take one of the activities that she suggested and turn it into a longer project. For example, why not make a visual essay something you can revise and turn in with a portfolio at the end of the semester? Or why not have students post a picture each week to a blog to represent how they are or who they are at that moment? Use the visual as communication, teach it, and help them learn to master it; these are all things that I agree with, but I also think it's important to show how the visual literacy can change and develop, just as writing essays over time can grow.

All of this made great sense in my head, but maybe it's not very practical. I'm unsure at this point, but it's an idea. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment